My photo
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States

Monday, September 27, 2010

Sardinia - flamingos & celery

Sardinian surprises: flamingos inhabiting inland waterways near the airport leisurely greet arriving visitors their one legged poses appearing impossibly comfortable. And did you know that celery could be an anticipated delicious accompaniment? I thought figi di India was enough - and then celery surfaced. Some vegetables and fruits are suppose to play silent roles. Celery surprises. But as I "remember the taste of fruit" I should add that any fruit or vegetable grown carefully and picked when just ripe deserves attention. Memories of great meals in Sardinia - bottarga sprinkled on pasta, paper thin "bread" called Carta di Musica - are replaced by a delightful dinner tonight on my return to Rome in a restaurant near the Campo di Fiori where I had the perfect Roman dish pasta vongole followed by Osso buco.

Oh but read Abraham Verghese book Cutting For Stone - my companion - along with Roberto - on the excursion to Sardinia

No comments:

Post a Comment